Making Plans

Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Six weeks ago, in Week 27, our good friends from Norway came to visit us. We talked, we laughed, we had fun and ate good food together. Most importantly, we made plans together. About 2 months ago, I wrote about learning to leap. Our friends, Christian and Anne, are going to make that leap together with us. So, we sat together and tried to decide together how that would look. Where to go? What to do? How to get started? (By the way, this process has been going on since February 2011. These things take time!) We have made a few decisions, but there are still a couple of major ones that we are in the process of deciding. Here's where we're at so far.

Free image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net
We want to head to East Africa next summer (more specific location still to be finalised) and work with projects that will help rebuild communities from the ground up. Communities that have been devastated by war, poverty, HIV, and destructive beliefs. Our main starting point will be helping communities gain access to clean water. Why, you ask? Well, in this region, only about 65% of the population has access to clean water. The other 35% (more in some countries) have either no access to clean water, or have to walk up to 2 hours to get to a clean water source. The lack of readily available clean water has a far reaching impact on many other areas of life for these communities. The high child mortality rate (up to 1 in 5 children under five die) is often linked to curable diseases caused by unclean water. Walking for four hours a day to fetch the family's water means that many children don't have a chance to go to school, or don't have time to do their homework and therefore don't pass their exams. Agriculture suffers, as water has to be fetched from far away, which in turn affects the capacity of families to grow enough produce to sell. The cycle of poverty continues for many. We want to see that changed. We want to be part of making a difference. Clean water is simply the first step.

Free image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Why would we want to do that? To relocate our family to Africa and live in a part of the world where infrastructure is lacking and poverty is a reality for many people? It is a response to the faith we have in Christ, to the calling to be a blessing to all people, to care for widows and orphans, the poor and the needy.

Still, there are many things yet to be decided. We are planning to take a short trip there this November to check out some options, see what kind of housing we can get there, what things can be bought there as opposed to shipping them, etc. It's going to be exciting :) We will be going without our kids, so that will be strange and difficult to be apart from them, but I think it will be the best all round.

I'm sure the next year will be an eventful one, as things become clearer for us. I will keep updating here on the blog so you can follow along in our process.

Hugs, Fiona

8 comments :

  1. This is so exciting! I love Africa and hope you do too! I will definitely be following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chantel! Any tips or advice about Africa are certainly welcome!

      Delete
  2. So exciting Fiona!! I'm really excited for you all :) Just a thought as I was reading this post, do you know about Justice water, a YWAM based ministry to provide clean water, they are based in Kona, but maybe they could give you some helpful tips, I don't know, they have been to Africa sometimes.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsten, is that the same as Water for Life? We have been in touch with them, at least :) Thanks for the thought!! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Not sure, don't think so, but doesn't matter, just thought it would be nice for you guys to get it touch with someone with a bit of experience :)

      Delete
    3. Justice water builds rain catchment tanks mainly - trying to teach the communities how to build more them self and how to maintain them..

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the tip, Kirsten. I looked it up, and I think they work together with WFL on occasion. Either way, it's great to be able to hook up with people who have experience! Thanks, you're a gem. Mwa! xoxo

      Delete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |